Followers

Friday, April 10, 2009

Topsy Turvy Chik Cake!


Happy Birthday to P. Chik!
In celebration I made this mini 3 tiered topsy turvy cake for my best friend and her last name is Chik...like the little chickies! I love the turquiose color! For
fondant recipe, check out my other post.

Here I am making the fondant from scratch! To add color in the fondant recipe, it just add small toothpick amounts of food color into your gelatin mixture after you have blended together your gelatin and corn syrup. Then proceed by adding this mixture to the powder sugar to get this above results. Then scrap out the Fondant onto a powerdered sugared surface and knead until smooth. Add powder sugar a continue to knead if the fondant is too moist.


Here I am laying down the fondant on the cakes and doing a preliminary cut on the edges to smooth down the fondant.


Here are 2 of the 3 cake layers ready for stacking! When you stack make sure to adhere each layer with a little bit of royal icing or decorators frosting to stick.

Here are all the layers stacked and I also made a gumpaste pearl border...


I used a really pretty mini rose silicone mold to make tiny gumpaste flowers and then applied it to the cake in random order... I think a went a little crazy with the mini roses...lol : You can get these types of molds from Global Sugar Art.


No comments: