Followers

Monday, April 20, 2009

He is Risen!



Another reason to celebrate Easter with a yummy cake! Boy, I was quite busy this past weekend :) Here I have made an ivory colored fondant cake for my friend Candyce. The cake is in the shape of a Greek Orthodox Cross. The cake is an almond white cake filled bittersweet chocolate ganache filling.

Below is my Almond Cake recipe below for my loyal blog followers :)

Almond White Cake

Makes (2) – 9” x 2 - Round Cakes Or (1) 12 x 2 Round Cake

Dry Ingredients:


2 ½ cups Cake Flour

3 tbsp. Potato Starch

1 tbsp. baking powder

4 tbsp. Instant vanilla mix

1 tsp. salt


Liquid Ingredients:

¾ cup. egg whites (about 6 – 7 egg whites)

¾ cup. – whole milk

1/3 cup. – half and half

1 ½ tsp. – Almond Extract

1 tbsp. - Amaretto Liqueur


Creaming Ingredients:

1 ¾ sticks - Unsalted Butter

2 ¼ c. granulated sugar or extra fine sugar


Preheat oven at 350 degrees.

  • Line the bottom of the plans with parchment paper.
  • In separate bowl sift the flour and whisk all the dry ingredients together for about 15 seconds.
  • Measure the liquid ingredients into a separate bowl and whisk to combine; whisking the egg whites will require more effort than usual to incorporate.
  • Measure the butter and sugar into separate bowls and set aside.

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and the sugar until creamy and fluffy for 3 - 5 minutes.

Add the dry ingredients mixture alternating with the liquid mixture in 3 -5 additions each, beginning and ending with the dry mixture. Don’t wait for the dry or liquid ingredients to be fully incorporated before adding the next. This step should take a total of about 60 seconds.

Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl all the way down. Don’t miss the clumps in the bottom middle of the bowl. Now mix on medium speed for 20 – 30 seconds to develop the batter’s structure.

Prepare the pans. Deposit the batter in 3 separate sections of the pan and smooth out with the rubber spatula or an offset spatula. The pans should be half full. Drop the pan on the counter a couple of times to settle the air bubbles in the batter.

Bake for 35 minutes and transfer for to rack to cool. The 9-inch round cakes should cool from about 25 – 30 minutes before removing from the pans. Invert each pan onto a flat surface and remove the layers. Remove the parchment from the bottom of each cake and wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap.

*TIP* - Assembling a layer of cake is easier if the cake is cold; refrigerate the layers overnight or up to 5 days before frosting.



Here I have carved out the cake out of an 11 X 15 sheet pan.
  • I calculated the measurements for the cake, on a sheet of paper measured at 11 X 15 inches.
  • I cut out the cross width of 3 inches diameter in the center of the 11 X 15 sheet of paper. Then I cut out the cross I made out of paper. After I had measured and cut the actual cross shape. I knew I would have 4 pieces of cake and I would be able to cut out a total of six (6) - 3 inch diameter circles for a total of 12 semi-circles with the left over corners of the cake. I apply 3 semi-circles on each side for each cross point.

This was a very carefully calculated cake :) I always knew my mathematics skills would come in handy one day :)


Once I completed covering the entire cake with a coat of buttercream I proceeded to covered the cake with the Ivory colored fondant and trimmed off the excess to the shape of the cake. This was the most complicated shaped fondant cakeI have made so far. Circle cakes are easiest and I have that down to a tee! But I always enjoy the opportunity to broaden my techniques.


The cake was stenciled with this nice swirl design and piped with delicate leaves. I had originally planned to paint acanthus leaves but the royal icing wasn't cooperating with me so this was the best I could do without messing up Candyce's Easter cake!

So I have piped the cake border with a beaded pearl border...but I kept looking at the cake and I felt like something was missing....the cake didnt stand out as much as I was hoping. At this point, I made an executive decision to pipe a top edge pearl border and I loved the results! It makes the cake stand out soo much better! I hope Candyce is pleased with this cake. I always get nervous because I never know if my friends are pleased with my cakes until they eat it, but I hope they are happy with their cakes! :D

Another crafty cake under the belt. Continue to check back to my blog for more cakes to come ^_~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful cake! I'm getting ready to make a special cake for to celebrate a baptism - and I couldn't find an Orthodox cross cake mold...this is the perfect solution. Thank you!