Followers

Friday, October 30, 2009

The Game of Go!




The chinese game of "Go" is called Wei-Qi. The game is played by two players who alternately place black and white stones (playing pieces, now usually made of glass or plastic) on the vacant intersections of a grid of 19×19 lines. The object of the game is to control a larger portion of the board than the opponent. A stone or a group of stones is captured and removed if it has no empty adjacent intersections, the result of being completely surrounded by stones of the opposing color. ( provided by Wikipedia!)




My friend Clara thought her dad would like this as his birthday cake, so here I have constructed the "Go" or "Wei-qi" board using ivory and tan fondant. Clara's cake is green tea cake with red bean buttercream!  Sticking with the asian cake flavors :D 
I used custom black and white M&M's as the game pieces. 





Here are the black and white M&M's for decorating and the blank game board I just created by using a ruler to cut thin strips of black fondant for the lines on the game board.  




Technically I am playing myself here!  AH HA!  I am playing while attaching the game pieces!  I think I am my own worse enemy...cuz it looks like a tie the way I placed the M&Ms...LOL :D





 Anyone up for a game of GO?  Or just some cake????
 

2 comments:

e-goista said...

This is marvelous :-)

I am speaking as a Go player, so I am biased to see as marvelous every hint to the game, but this is a special case!

I will look at your whole blog, now, it seems promising,

Thank you for sharing this cake with us.

Unknown said...

Amazing cake! my only critique as a Go player is that you are missing the small dots on the star points. There are 9 star points on the board. They are dots on any intersections involving 2 of the 4th, 9th, and 16th horizontal and vertical lines. Not all of them are exposed on this board as there are stones on the board, but a few are still visible and missing dots.